These days you can do almost anything with the click of a button. Order school supplies. Get a ride across town. Watch your favorite movie. Order food delivery. It seems like every day there’s a newer and easier way to do almost everything. We’ve been programmed to accept that anything can be ordered online and delivered right to your front door. However, at Wright Orthodontics, there is one thing that we believe has no easy replacement: orthodontic treatment. There is no match for a trained, experienced professional when it comes to your dental health.
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) agrees. They recently issued a Consumer Alert listing key questions to ask about direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies. You can download a print-friendly version here.
The issue is that many direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies do not involve the in-person evaluation and/or in-person supervision of the treatment we provide at Wright Orthodontics. This type of supervision is important because there is more to creating a healthy, beautiful smile than moving the visible portions of your teeth. If not done correctly any dental work can lead to potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changes to your facial profile, and other issues.
An orthodontist like Dr. Randy Wright has many tools in his arsenal to help create your beautiful smile – Invisalign® aligners are just one of them. It’s important to have a fully qualified and certified orthodontist involved when making any changes to your teeth.
The Top 8 Questions To Ask
The AAO advises that when researching orthodontic treatment (including treatment models from direct-to-consumer companies like SmileDirectClub, Candid Co., Smilelove, SnapCorrect, Orthly, etc.), you should consider many key questions, some of which include:
- As part of your treatment, are comprehensive diagnostic records like X-rays taken before your treatment?
2. As part of your treatment fee, do you receive any in-person visits to a dentist or orthodontist
office during your treatment?
3. Is only one treatment type offered (such as invisible aligners or a certain appliance)?
4. What are the possible risks (financial, health, etc.) associated with your orthodontic treatment?
5. Who is responsible for detecting any issues that may occur during your orthodontic treatment? Is it you? If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
6. If an emergency arises, does the company have a dentist or orthodontist in your area that you can see in person? If not, who would cover the costs associated with seeing a dentist or orthodontist in your area?
7. If you have a dispute involving your orthodontic treatment, how is it handled?
8. Does the treatment model comply with the dental laws in your state? To check your state’s dental laws, click https://www.aaoinfo.org/state-laws-and-regulations. Information for your state dental board can be found at https://www.aaoinfo.org/aao/state-dental-board-info.
Where You Receive Your Health Care Is A Very Important Personal Decision
Remember that orthodontic treatment is not a product or device – it is a professional, medical service. Dr. Randy Wright attended Louisiana State University School of Dentistry in New Orleans and earned his Master of Science in Orthodontics from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry in Iowa City, IA. He regularly continues his education with courses, meetings, and case presentations. He has been practicing in the Batavia area since 2003 and is a member of the American Dental Association (ADA).
Before making any decision about orthodontic treatment, consider doing some research and having an in-person consultation with Dr. Randy Wright at Wright Orthodontics. Our friendly team is waiting to answer any of your questions and start you or your child on a path to a gorgeous smile!
Click below for an in-person consultation with Dr. Randy Wright. We can’t wait to meet you!
Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page for more information about our practice and to read patient reviews!